Cheers, mates!

This blog chronicles the bloody brilliant, pond-hopping adventures of Kristin Taylor, an English Literature major in the Honors Program at Columbus State University who spent the Fall semester of 2008 studying abroad at the University of Oxford.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Day 3



Today Brandon and I decided to go around town some on our own. I got to stop by several of the stores in city centre (downtown), like Primark (where I bought some much-needed gloves) and Top Shop and the European GAP. Then Brandon and I came home and fixed up the two bikes that were left here by the previous students. (See the photos here for the funny bicycle chronicle.) We rode them around the block to Sommertown, a very nearby little town with some shops (and LB's, the supposedly amazing Lebanese restaurant I haven't gotten to eat at yet) because I haven't decided if I'm actually going to bike places or not. The bicycle lanes are often shared with buses here, afterall. Tomorrow we're going to ride to Regent's Park so I can get a better idea of what the trek to school would be like.

Phil arrived tonight, and he seems very nice. He's working on a graduate degree at Oxford in preparation for going into the Baptist ministry. (Regent's Park is a Baptist college.) I am ready for the two girls that are coming to arrive, though. I feel way outnumbered by boys.

Well, orientation week ("naught week") doesn't even begin until October 5th, so that gives me a week until classes begin. I plan to do a lot of reading in the books I bought yesterday because I think feeling prepared for my tutorials will be half the battle in making me feel like I'm doing well. I feel like I'm adjusting well to being here though. I remember not feeling as comfortable during my first few days in Spain as I have felt here. I don't know if that speaks to the experience I gained from having travelled before or to my growth as a person in the last year. Most likely, I suppose, it's a combination of both.

Well, I'm off to read or find a snack or something.

No comments: