Cheers, mates!

This blog chronicles the bloody brilliant, pond-hopping adventures of Kristin Taylor, an English Literature major in the Honors Program at Columbus State University who spent the Fall semester of 2008 studying abroad at the University of Oxford.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day 7, or The End of Week One

So today marks my seventh day here in Oxford, although it doesn't feel like I've been here for one week already. The two girls from Georgetown arrived today, and as they were asking questions about Oxford, I realized that I had gotten more acquainted to the town than I realized when I was able to answer many of their questions. When studying abroad, it's always an interesting feeling to find yourself growing acquainted to a new place -- and even more interesting when you look back in retrospect and see who you were when you arrived versus who you are later.

Overall, today was a pretty laid-back day. Brandon, Phil, and I went to Regent's Park, so Brandon and I were able to see the inside of our college for the first time. We cleaned out our "pigeon holes" (college mail boxes), visited the Junior Common Room, and we also received our official University of Oxford student ID cards, which serves as our library card in the Regent's Park library and in the Bodleian (the University's copyright library), among other things yet to be discovered or understood. We also signed up to eat lunch in the dining hall tomorrow, so hopefully we can meet some more students while we're there. After going to the college, we just walked around city centre for a while. Then we came back to the Spencer House, where I've spent a lot of time reading my Cambridge Companion to Modernism. I only have two essays left to read, and I must say that reading it has made me feel much more prepared for my tutorial.

Some photos here.

No comments: