Cheers, mates!

This blog chronicles the bloody brilliant, pond-hopping adventures of Kristin Taylor, an English Literature major in the Honors Program at Columbus State University who spent the Fall semester of 2008 studying abroad at the University of Oxford.

Friday, October 24, 2008

My New Haircut

. . . or my new bangs (known to the British as a fringe, or a fringy bit, and I still managed to ask mistakenly for fringes -- because bangs are, after all, plural, so it seemed logical) and trim/shaping. I'm saying all this because the difference is not drastic, although the fringy bit is a little different from the bangs I've had in the past.

I went the other day for my first experience in a British hair salon. It was a little bit pricier than I'm used to paying at home, but I was so desperate for a haircut that I didn't care. I went to this salon called Brothers because I'd received a ten-pound off coupon (known to the British as a voucher) from them in my Fresher's pack. The salon was very nice -- as were the employees. They offered you drinks while you waited, took your coat to a coat room, and gave you a "complimentary" scalp massage prior to your shampooing and a "complimentary" hand massage while you are getting your hair cut. I know that "complimentary" really means nothing (hence the quotation marks); it just explains why my visit cost me more here than it does at home, but after all the Oxonian stress that this place puts me under, it was well worth the few extra pounds. And I'm quite happy with the results:

No comments: