Cheers, mates!

This blog chronicles the bloody brilliant, pond-hopping adventures of Kristin Taylor, an English Literature major in the Honors Program at Columbus State University who spent the Fall semester of 2008 studying abroad at the University of Oxford.

Friday, October 17, 2008

A Random Smattering of Events

Today I went to my first lecture, which is the first of a four-week series on Classical Mythology. I figured it might behoove me to learn about all those crazy gods before I try to take the GRE. I checked a couple of secondary sources on Chaucer out of the library. I'll have to read those this weekend along with finishing up my Yeats paper. Then I went to my first formal hall, which is Friday-night dinner, when all the students and professors dress in their academic regalia. This formal hall business is all about tradition -- I mean, bowing at the table of professors if you have to excuse yourself during dinner, bowing again when you reenter the room, waiting for the Principal to strike a gavel on the table before you can begin eating, then again before you can leave. No kidding.

In other news, I managed to ride to formal hall on my bike, while wearing -- wait for it -- a dress, so I guess I am officially an Oxonian. Yay for initiation!

with several of the international students before formal hall

No comments: